MoreDesk allows you to organise your windows over a space which is larger than the normal desktop. It does this by creating a grid of desktop spaces and by allowing you to select any one to look at. You can switch between them whenever you like. You can easily move windows between desktops and get a view of the entire desktop space. You can even have different sets of pinboard icons and a different backdrop image for each of the desktops.
Often, you can use a specific desktop for a specific purpose. For example, you might have one where you deal with email and for reading newsgroup posts. Another desktop might be used for web browsing and yet another might have some word processor documents open that you are reading. Desktops can be given names to help you to identify them quickly.
Click for larger image
With MoreDesk, it's easy to do this and get a quick overall view of all of your desktops, switch between them and move windows around the whole space. You can even have windows open in pre-defined locations on the screen and have files and applications start when you enter a desktop.
SEE FOR YOURSELF
If you want to see more pictures of MoreDesk in action, check out the user gallery for examples of how different users have set up their copy of MoreDesk. Or you can take a look at the detailed MoreDesk user guide.
Here are the key highlights of MoreDesk:
- Configurable number of desktops
- Assign a name to any desktop
- Associate pinboard with each desktop
- Associate backdrop image with each desktop
- Pinboard and backdrop can be copied and pasted between desktops
- Scaled view of entire desk space (including windows)
- Real-time update of scaled view
- Drag and control windows from scaled view
- Drag multiple windows at the same time
- Snap windows to desktop edge or top of iconbar
- Micro view for quick desktop changes
- Flashing alerts from other applications
- A switcher function (like Alt-Tab on Windows)
- Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts
- Supports eSpeak to speak various bits of information
- Full interactive help support
- Broad range of configuration options
MoreDesk can also raise alerts for significant events on desktops other than the one currently in use. This feature is now supported by third party software including Pluto, Parmesan and Grapevine. Developers should consult the API specification here.
MoreDesk requires RISC OS 4 or later, a recent SharedCLibrary, WindowManager 3.80 or later and the Universal Boot Sequence. It also makes use of ConfiX for configuration.
MoreDesk includes an installer which may install ConfiX, the required SharedCLibrary and associated modules. It includes the C Library and CallASWI module updates from the old Castle Technology web site. These updates were known to be correct as of 24th March 2006.